Saturday, September 20, 2008

Little Flower



Little Flower


I behold a little girl of seven,
Yes, with seven wonders,
Laughing in the embalming sunlight;


Chasing a butterfly with the swirling wind,

Which is but her own winged passion;


Gathering flowers in Beauty's own knowledge,

As she herself smells of jasmine and rosemary;


Jumping over running brooks,
Leaping upon her own soul.


What shall I do to carry you back

Into the Sea, Life's wide heart,

With me, and with

The torrents of spring in me,

My Love?


Tell me,
Daughter, Sister, Mother of my soul,

How can I not move as you move in
God's morning field
,
Passing through my life like an
Implacable sweetness?


O you who hear my silence,

How can I not want to catch you,

As everything carries me unto you

Even in little, complicated, shy steps?


My heart is scarlet,

How can I not want to hold your hand
And place it there with its beat?

How can I not want to enfold you,
And all that is alive in you, in my arms
To tell you,
"I am also alive"?


How can I not want to bring you home
Upon my back and shoulders

And tell you of Love's desire?

Flower, little flower,
What lonely secrets have you to whisper
Unto the breeze and the ether
At the approach of this slow autumn?


A wayfarer and story-teller am I,

Who has moved from
Mist to mist,
From solitude to solitude.

What can I say of your

Rare beauty that I witness

At God's dawn-spanned window?


It delights me more than

My own knowledge of all silences,

It agonizes me more than
All the broken things in the path of time;

It befriends me more than
All the things that have ornamented my soul
With their shining dust and
Pricking memories.

I did not, at first, deliberately crave you like this,
Sweetheart;

Nor did I once try to attempt
To release a certain

Unsprung madness within me.

But, oh, I arrived at Love's door,

For your sake,

With a certain anxious fragility.


I was smashed by destiny's hand
To love you,
As if struck by a certain rare tempest.


Yet, tell me,

Of all the great things that we both know,

What can be more certain and ancient

Than such Might and Spontaneity?

For in it I have heard the voice of our lives,

And witnessed the eternal span of our dreams;
All within a single breath and heartbeat.


It is upon this thread of understanding,

That I have no choice other than

To know Love as Love,
And to love you like this.

Even if I have to burn all knowledge
Upon my sentimented lips,


Even if I have to pain my heart
With infinite tenderness and
Unbefriended understanding,


This heart shall always be inseparable

From you, my dear.


By the sun that slowly sets,

Whose faint reflection falls upon

The wind-caressed still water,

Without being imprisoned nor
Captured by it,


I do not seek your silence
Only to possess you in exchange of

Love's seasonal honey,

I do not wish to pluck you,
Not even with shyness and tenderness,

From the garden where you belong,
Where the roots of your loveliness are.

Rather, Sweetheart,
Place your heart in mine and
Listen:


I simply want your soft hand
To touch Life's own;


I long to have your fingers

Play Love upon the quivering strings

Of my soul.


I don't want Love's fleeting fragments,

Nor births and deaths;

I desire a certain Wholeness,

Like the rain upon my face,
And like the desert that burns unwitnessed.


I only long to caress you, Beloved,
To make your shyness resplendent.

I only yearn to touch you

To feel you rustling and living.

[For Mina. Saturday, 20/09/2008]

Dani

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is “The Song of the Reed Flute,”soul's love.Mystical effect.

philia said...

how beautiful this love is.. may Allahu SWT bless u both..